Friday 13 February 2009

IT'S BEEN A WHILE BUT I AM BACK!!!




TWO OLD LADIES
I was moved and uplifted earlier this week to come across two wonderful old ladies. Not content to sit around in their homes during the dark, cold winter days, they were out busking! These ladies clearly had a combined age of about 160+. They were both wearing red hats and warm wool coats. Perhaps they are sisters, their harmony was great as they sang traditional Russian folk songs and one of them was wearing a yellow plastic container around her neck to collect the money. I don't usually give money to buskers but I was extremely generous to these ladies as I thought they showed such spirit! They probably sing all the time at home and realised the possibility to 'cash in' on their pastime! They made my day and I made theirs!
I wonder how long it will be before such enterprise will be shown by our own British pensioners, struggling along on their 0% interest on their savings. Not even funny.
NEW TROLLEY BUSES
Things have changed even in the short time I have been living here. All the battered old mini buses that used to clog up our main roads have been banned from use and have been replaced by beautiful new buses. This is making the main shopping street of Nevsky Prospect much, much cleaner and safer. Good things DO happen here!
ON THE OTHER HAND
I thought I was being sensible crossing at a pelican light this morning but hadn't accounted for the fact that big, dark windowed, 4 x 4's park on the crossings and don't think anything of backing into pedestrians crossing! I nearly got caught, but I will be looking out in future. I really think people in cars assume that the pedestrian is some sort of inferior being, seriously!
SNOW
At last I can report that the weather here is now worse than the weather in the UK. Thank goodness, I thought I might start to be considered a fraud as every time I speak to my son in Newcastle the weather has been considerably colder and snowier than here!
I can confirm that the river and canals here are well iced over and I have seen people walking on the ice on the main river, crazy! I think the swimmers are still swimming at Peter and Paul. It takes all sorts.

No comments: