Thursday 5 March 2009

RANDOM BUT INTERESTING!






FISHING WINTER STYLE
This chap seems to be enjoying himself out on the main river. Sometimes they put a tent made of polythene around them to keep warm. Doesn't look much fun to me and I am not sure if I would eat fish out of the Neva.
THE ICE BREAKER
I love the impression the ice breaker leaves on the river. They break it up quite regularly. The river isn't passable until the ice is gone though. I think they break it so there is some movement or the ice cracks and then builds into sort of icebergs which when on the move would put pressure on the bridges. That all sounds feasible doesn't it?
THE SWIMMING POOL CHURCH
During the soviet times a lot of churches were made into public swimming pools (unimaginable but true). This morning I was invited with the International Women's Club to visit the above church to pick out some paintings which have been donated by the artist Matt Lamb to the Club to auction for charity. The paintings are being stored in this church. You can see the stands at the side which were used when it was converted to a public swimming pool and the church has decided to keep in place. What a reminder! Personally, I think it's easy to imagine it as a swimming pool.

No comments: