Thursday 4 June 2009

CITY BEACH AND THE GULF OF FINLAND





The second picture is actually a beach in front of the Peter and Paul Fortress. It's amazing that this was completely covered in deep ice and snow just a few weeks ago and incredible that there is a beach in the City!

The top image is the beach at the Gulf of Finland. I took pictures a few weeks ago and the sea was ice and people were skiing on it. It is just a short journey from St.Petersburg and good for a day trip. I must confess that this is a particularly nice part of the beach. We were disappointed to discover that further along it was rather covered in a lot of rubbish swept up from the sea. It would be so easy to clean up at the beginning of the season and make a lot more pleasant for people to enjoy.

There were people in the water. I don't think it would pass any cleanliness regulations and I wouldn't swim in it.

We were quite surprised to walk past a nudist part of the beach. We should have guessed, it was the area where more people (particularly males) were standing up to sunbathe instead of the traditional 'lying down' method! Glad I was wearing my dark glasses!

No comments: