Friday 17 October 2008

THE EXPAT LIFE IS A HARD ONE!

















THE ALABAMA BABES!

The above ladies are affectionately known around town as the 'Alabama Babes'. They are a rare breed but come in a rather large group. Their husbands are here sorting out the paper industry. They all live in wonderful apartments, far out of our league, and get taken around by chauffeur driven cars everywhere. They don't walk very much due to very high heels and never go anywhere without at least a couple of hours preparation (i.e. makeup!). They are fantastic, warm and generous people and add a lot of value to the expat community.

ANYONE FOR FUR?

The picture was taken earlier this week at the British Consulate where we all been invited to a charity fashion show. It was a very Russian affair. It was all fur. Because they don't have issues with fur here (it's bloody cold in the winter!) they are able to take the product a step further than we have done in the West. These were designs we would have seen if we had continued using furs into this century. It was stunning actually but they were very, very expensive. I was, however, a bit shocked at one beautiful, young model sporting a particularly furry coat with a fox head on each side of her neck and rather a lot of tails hanging at the back!

BURST THE BUBBLE!

I went home on a bus. Enough to bring anyone back to earth. Nobody ever opens the windows and it gets so stuffy. I open a window if I am near enough but I get disapproved of for it. I think they must think the air outside is worse than the air inside but that can't be possible, can it?!

I think the City is due some new buses and I look forward to seeing them. The elderly really struggle to get on and off as the steps are SO steep and the doors open and close really viciously. I also feel they could keep them a lot cleaner inside. uggh!

I have developed a habit of washing my hands an awful lot here. I never sit down for coffee or lunch whilst out and about without a visit to the bathroom first. Although that in itself can be a hazard! Hope I am not giving the wrong impression, there are some really clean places too!

No comments: