Tuesday 1 July 2008

BITS AND BOBS

Well, I`ve been here a week now and I must admit to it having felt like quite a long one! I guess that is because of all the new information that is necessary to take in at this stage just so it`s possible to get by. I am sure all these things become second nature but in the meantime it is quite exhausting. It doesn`t help that everything is written in Cyrillic. I am getting used to that but it means just, for example to work out where a particular shop is that might sell shampoo is an effort.

GETTING AROUND

We have not yet ventured out to the big supermarket on the edge of town. That would mean Mike borrowing the Range Rover from the Firm (we may buy it, not sure) or using the driver who is at Mike`s disposal as is required during working hours and we are going to come to an arrangement to use him out of working hours BUT all this takes time and even MORE time in Russia!

So in the meantime, town shopping will suffice. We don`t really want to do a big shop until we move into our apartment anyway. The driver will also be at my disposal when I need but that can all wait until September. It seems to me it is a lot quicker getting around the town any other way than driving so it`s not worth it unless you are covering some distance and carrying a lot of stuff.

ABOUT TOWN

There are many small supermarkets scattered around the town. There is a new one just opened around the corner from this flat. I was disappointed to see that it was exactly the same model as all the others. Tescos could do very well with their Tesco Express model here. I am sure it won`t be too long before the gap is filled in the market but in the meantime...... How can they honestly believe that people want to buy a two week old leek? AND I know next week it will still be there as a three week old leek! This is reminiscent of the Czech Republic when we arrived there in 1994 and it is interesting to see that St.Petersburg is behind. Maybe it`s a different story in Moscow.

Having said that, it is rather amusing to see the range of stuff for sale, some recognisable and some definitely not, still there is no accounting for taste. In one supermarket a lady stands handing out small polythene bags to anyone wanting to buy fresh (fresh?) veg. I don`t think she rations them but I believe in the West we have a little stand that does the job very nicely. It would be really nice if she could give the odd smile, it could even cheer up her day! I try to avoid her because I think she is deeply suspicious that I might try to steal a frozen pigs trotter.

On the subject of freezers, I think the freezers are cold enough because they have to be to function, however, the chilled food sections are quite often not chilled enough. I picked up some butter from one and it was ready to spread very nicely. Some of these cabinets don`t even seem chilled. I don`t think they don`t work I just think it is a way of economising. Bit dodgy. Happily I am aware of this now and will take care not to buy any meat products that don`t seem well chilled. Actually I will probably just buy stuff in the fresh food market or in the big supermarket.

It is a bit of a pain that the tap water is not drinkable. It seems different people have different opinions on this. I have met a very sensible British lady (you know who you are!) who just filters it and uses it, she doesn`t have any problems, although having said this, she is now pregnant. What does that say about the water? I think I will stick to the bottled variety.

It has to be said that an awful lot of strongly coloured bubble bath is required to disguise the muddy colour when a bath is filled.

STUFFED ANIMALS

It seems in Russia that not only is the fur coat still a `must have` for anyone who`s anyone but also they are rather partial to stuffed animals.

I have come across two or three shops selling stuffed animals ranging from quite small, beavers, birds, the odd lynx right up to a massive tiger. There was a severe note written, funnily enough in English, saying not to take photographs. I guess they don`t want the ` save the blah blah from extinction ´brigade onto them, but really it is rather strange. I suppose it means that if you are rich (these shops are in wealthy shopping centres) you don`t have to have a history of game hunting, you can buy one.

THE ROADS

My observation of the roads after my first week is that is very dangerous to cross them without concentration and even then you had better watch out! Some russians don`t feel the need to stop at pedestrian crossings when the little green man is showing so you can`t feel secure even there. I have come across some very selfish driving around europe but never have I come across cars that deliberately drive through pedestrian crossings on red whilst people are crossing. It`s ok so long as you know! It`s not necessarily the ones in the Mercedes with the blackened windows either.

On Saturday at around two in the morning, there was the start of two different races in the palace square, one was a cycle race and the other was a roller blade race. There were literally hundreds of them pouring through the streets of the town all together. Quite a sight but impossible to get through them to cross the road to get to the flat and to bed!

FIRST TRIP OUT OF RUSSIA ALREADY!

Luckily for me, Mike`s firm have arranged a partners meeting in Monte Carlo to which the spouses are invited. We leave tomorrow for 5 days. I am looking forward to this immensely and hope I equally look forward to my return to St.Petersburg next Monday!

Next posting will be next week!

No comments: