Monday 7 July 2008

A TRIP TO PARADISE AND BACK!

COTE D`AZURE, VERY NICE

I wasn`t going to mention trips away from my new life in Russia BUT then I decided that seeing as though I will probably be the number one reader and I would like not to forget these trips, I would plough ahead regardless.

We arrived at Nice airport at around 10.30 p.m. in a very original way. Our plane (we came in from Zurich) was surrounded by fire engines. Quite exciting if you could get off and watch from the distance but not so when you are told the brakes were smoking but, thankfully, cooling down, and that for safety purposes to remain seated until the crises passes. All is well that turns out well, however, our luggage was equally slow to emerge and therefore we arrived at the Fairmont Hotel in Monte Carlo just in the nick of time to down two stiff gins and tonics with the diehard remainder of the crowd before retiring for a very late night.

I would like to point out that I don`t usually go to bed on two stiff gins and tonics but this was necessary training for the three days and nights to come.

The following morning Mike went off to the meeting and I assembled with some other `spouses` (still about 99 percent women regardless of the modern age we live in) to be taken off to a cookery lesson with Sebastien Paoletti.

The venue was absolutely lovely in the hills, surrounded by beautiful scenery. We were to cook our own lunch having been shown by Sebastien (gorgeous) Paoletti how to do it. This was great for the young Russian wives who were relishing the opportunity to show off to Mr. Paoletti how well they chop and fry whilst still managing to look very sexy but I can honestly say that most of us slightly more mature women were very happy to watch them showing off whilst we gabbed away about what great cooks we are and how we would happily be there without the cookery bit. Still it was a great ambiance and the lunch on the terrace after was great fun.

Feeling a little too relaxed after lunch, we ventured by bus up to St Paul de Vince, a hilltop village for a short visit before returning to the hotel in time for a quick shower before dinner! Dinner was at the Top Cars Museum (one for the boys). I was lucky to have a go in a simulated drive of the Monte Carlo race route, sitting in what seemed like a real racing car with a huge screen in front, it felt very real, except my spectacular crashes. It seems to me that the course is very tight!

This was my first opportunity to meet the expat wives of other Deloitte partners who also live in Russia, mainly in Moscow and Kiev and ask them how they manage. Mostly, they were all quite positive so that was encouraging.

The following day a small group of us ladies walked around the town and up to and around the Grimaldi palace during the morning after which we met up with our husbands for the afternoon tour of Chateau de Cremat to sample the wines and enjoy the scenery. The evening`s entertainment was dinner and dancing at the Monte Carlo Beach Hotel, where we also enjoyed a few fully clothed diving demonstrations from a few of the younger Russian partners. The more exhibitionist Russian wives saw this as a great opportunity to have a sort of unofficial wet t-shirt competition along with an `oh dear, can you really see my sexy underwear which is barely there under my wet white trousers since I fell in the pool?` competition. Needless to say, I didn`t join in with this one. It seems to me that the Russians really know how to have a great party!

Saturday was spent cruising on a very large catamaran up the coastline and back. This was very relaxing and as usual there was plenty to eat and drink. There were only fifteen people on each boat so it was possible to really chill out in preparation for yet another evening of champagne and frolics! This was a much more sophisticated evening than the previous one and 90,000 euros was raised for charity during the course of the dinner!

It was a wonderful gift from Deloittes after only being in Russia for one week to actually be invited on a fab freebie like that but it has to be said that after all the over indulgence of the past four days I was quite happy to return to St.Pete`s yesterday, back to foraging around the town to get a meal together, which is better for my figure! Not to mention all the walking!

HALLWAYS

It was quite a come down to return to our present home to find half the wall of the entrance hall with bricks showing and a huge gap where the plaster has either been knocked off or fallen off, accompanied by a rather unpleasant smell. Well, it`s not gas or mould so I won`t worry too much and it`s not inside my flat so it only bothers me when I venture out. I guess this must be the attitude of most Russian people, just shut the door on it and don`t worry, which would explain why the plaster and dust is all over the floor and stairs and nobody has cleared it up. If it`s still there tomorrow I might set an example but I am rather hoping it won`t be. Of course, the other option I have is to get the bloody property agent to sort it out! Well thought out Susan, after all we are only paying them about 200 euros a night for the privilage of being here!

BEAUTIFUL HOUSEKEEPER LOOKING FOR JOB

Well, it may be unethical to put out an advert but after meeting my cleaning lady about four times she has finally plucked up the courage to give me a hand written note in English which her friend has written out for her saying that what she is actually looking for is an opportunity for her and her 14 year old son to go and live in London. She says it`s her dream. She is looking for something well paid preferably in my home in London (I don`t have one but I didn`t like to disillusion her) where she hopes to fall in love (she doesn`t want Russian man, don`t know why) and have a good life.

I admire her honesty! I think she would have preferred to give this note to Mike but was quite happy to give it to me. Mike would recommend her. He likes the way she comes to work in her `party clothes` and can`t understand why I have never employed a cleaning lady as pretty as this one before. So if anyone is looking for a ur.... housekeeper, this is your chance although you may have to sort out a visa for her or marry her but otherwise... no problem, oh.... except, don`t forget she comes with a 14 year old son and we all know what they can be like!

No comments: